Community & Culture Section
The Department of Community and Culture has been established to facilitate the development of integrated strategies and programmes that enhance social and cultural experiences in Kilkenny. The Department has been set up as part of the government policy on the integration of Local Government and Local Development with a core function of facilitating the Local Community Development Committee (LCDC) and the preparation and implementation of the community element of the Local Economic and Community Plan
Core Objectives of the Community & Culture Department:
Through the Local Community Development Committee to work towards the development , co-ordination, implementation of a coherent and integrated approach to local and community development.
To put in place mechanisms by which citizens and communities will be encouraged and supported to participate in the decision making process of the Local Authority.
To promote and foster civic leadership and participation across the community, culture, arts, heritage and recreation sectors Supporting Strategies
Key Programmes and programmes being implemented within the section are as follows:
- Preparation of community element of the Kilkenny Local Economic and Community Plan (LECP)
- Convening and organising Local Community Development Committee (LCDC) meetings
- Establishing a SICAP sub-group of the LCDC to oversee and monitor the Social Inclusion and Community Activation Programme (SICAP) through the web-based IRIS monitoring system and the provision of regular reports to the LCDC.
- Support the LCDC as the Local Action Group to make a submission of interest for the Rural Development Programme 2015 - 2020 followed by a Rural Development Plan for Kilkenny.
- The establishment and operationaise the Public Participation Network (PPN) in Kilkenny.
- Participation in the Children's and Young Persons Services Committee's "Children and Young Peoples Development Plan" for Kilkenny.
- To continue to convene the Traveller Interagency Committee.
- To resource and support the Kilkenny Older People's Forum.
- To resource and support Kilkenny Traveller Community Movement (KTCM)
- Supporting the delivery of the Horse Project in conjunction with County Kilkenny Leader Partnership (CKLP) and Kilkenny Traveller Community Movement (KTCM).
- Support the implementation of key actions in the Kilkenny Integration Strategy 2014 - 2017.
- Support the roll-out of activities for Kilkenny Bike Week, National Recreation Day and National Play Day.
- Roll out and administer the Community and Cultural Facilities Capital Scheme
- Support the implementation of the Ferrybank Community Development Strategic Plan 2015 - 2020.
- Support the implementation of the annual action plan of the Comhairle na nÓg.
Staff in the Community & Culture Department:
Lindsey Butler, Senior Community Development Worker
Stephen O'Connor, Senior Community Development Worker
Cora Nolan, Administrative Support
Office hours are from 9am to 1pm and 2pm to 5pm, Monday to Friday based in
Johns Green House,
Tel: 056 7794920
Facebook page Kilkenny County Council, Community Development & Culture
Services of the Community & Culture Department are free of charge, where there is a cost for events these will be stated.
Click on the following link to view the Kilkenny County Council Freedom of Information Publication Scheme.
Public information evenings across Kilkenny
Commercial Premises Streetscape Paint Scheme